April 14, 2013

Two years ago...

Today is Thor's 2 Year Autism-Diagnosis Anniversary.

Two years ago I wasn't sure how to help Thor. He spent many days wearing a hockey helmet to prevent brain injury; banging his head off of cupboards, walls, and even the floor.

He was frustrated. He couldn't communicate. He was non-verbal.

He had lost all ability to speak, hold a spoon, make eye connect, or even smile.

I had lost my son.

Two years ago I drove the 7 hours to a special clinic to have him assessed. Four days of testing and a lot of tears later, Thor was diagnosed with Autism, Sensory Processing Disorder, and an extreme case of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

I left feeling relieved...there was hope. Finally, someone could give me answers and tell me what had happened to my son. We had a starting place and could now move forward with therapies.

Two years later...40+ hours of therapy each week: therapy groups, preschool with support workers, speech therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, private therapists in our home, and many hours of mom and Thor working on goals too.

Two years later...Thor can talk. He can smile. He does his best to make eye contact. He feeds himself and is learning how to dress himself.

Thor is now 4 1/2 years old and I see a bright future for him. Yes, he still struggles daily with meltdowns, anxiety, speech & communication, and his daily "stims" but we are working on it. Detour has helped him so much in these areas...bringing him a sense of comfort and familiarity in situations where he would typically meltdown (like the grocery store).

Thor with his Autism Service Dog (Detour) at the grocery store.


Happy Anniversary Thor...you've come so far and I'm so proud of you. I can't wait to see how far you come in the years to follow.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Minx Design
All Content © 2011 Erin Blocksidge
all rights reserved.